Friday, April 11, 2008

A George by any other name would not be the same...

My first BLOG! I highly doubt that life as I know it today will produce enough material to maintain a constant blog, but seeing as I've recently become a.d.d.i.c.t.e.d. to reading blogs, I figure it's about time for me to join in. I must admit, I'm becoming pretty handy at this computer stuff. I even have a Myspace page...I know, I am so incredibly uncool.

I guess the best place to start is explaining the title of my blog. My birth name is not George and I am not a tranny. As a two year old child I was prescribed glasses. Said glasses were cute tortoise rimmed glasses that just so happened to resemble those of one George Burns. My father, upon seeing his sweet child in glasses, was quick to point out this resemblance. The name stuck. While some young girls might resent their fathers purposely trying to embarrass them at school, around friends, when they receive an ever-so-important phone call in their teen years by calling out "Hey GEORGE", I embraced it. I loved that my father and I had (and still have) that special connection. My glasses made me.

(And okay, I wasn't going to admit this but it helps explain who I am today. I had a lazy eye. OKAY -- I technically still do, but you can only see it if I turn a certain way. I had to have surgery; I had to wear a patch; I had to wear glasses that made me look like the little Asian lady from The Incredibles. Kids stared at me. They pointed at me and said to their parents, "MOM, LOOK AT HER EYES". And, I realize EVERY kid is made fun of and ridiculed by their peers, but I'm not necessarily complaining about it. I think it made me a more compassionate person. But I digress.)

I wear contacts now, and I'm still George. I hope to use this blog as a place to remember who I was as a child and young adult, to reflect on where I am now, and to dream about where I'm heading.

Thanks for reading! (And okay, you'll be quick to learn that I'm still a geek in glasses, somewhat lacking confidence, and I'm constantly going to be simultaneously worrying that 1. you are reading and gagging at my grammar and content, and 2. you are not reading. Such is the dichotomy of my life - in and out of glasses.)

4 comments:

Erlyce said...

I LOVE IT!! You beat me to blogging, but I don't mind. And no, I'm NOT gagging at your grammar; it's just SO NICE to see someone write well, and to think we're related to boot! Way to go, George. I know your parents will love reading what you wrote, as will I!

The Doc's said...

I love it.....just love it. It made me teary eyed. I wish I could write as well as you. I love it George.

Overwhelmed in Az said...

Oh great....Not that I don't have enough in my life that is fufilling but now you go and do this. Well crap because now I am going to have to read it everyday and then figure out how to start my own. Some please stop me.. I have to learn to say NO.
Love Ya
S

Anonymous said...

Erleeece, If you think its strange that your related to someone who can write well consider this, I'm her MOTHER!! That makes it stranger yet!! Ma