Monday, April 14, 2008

Forgettful Jones

I have a strange memory. I can remember the names of Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, and Gwen Steffani’s children. I can remember the appropriate gift for someone’s 1 year anniversary. I can remember that the guy in the office next door drives a red Chevy, likes Diet Cokes, and his daughter is expecting her first child in June.

I can’t remember when Columbus sailed the ocean blue (1492?). I can’t remember how to compute algebraic equations (don’t even get me started on geometric equations). I can’t remember the name of prominent Generals during the Civil War, or (ashamedly) the years of the Civil War. I can’t remember the name of the guy in the office next door.

I know people say that the mind will forget things that you don’t want to remember, but really, is it so harmful to my subconscious chi that I remember when the free world was discovered?!

Here are a few of my still retrievable memories:

First Memory:
I think my mom, sister and I had gone to the pool while we were stationed in ND. I had fallen asleep on the drive home, and I had sweet tarts in my hand. I had SO wanted sweet tarts but was a little disappointed to find out that I didn’t like them that much. Anywho, when we got home my mom left me in the car to sleep a little longer. I woke up in the warm car with my package of sweet tarts in hand and no one around. (Note: Please do not call a child protection agency; the windows were down and we lived on a military installation. Also, my mother vehemently denies this ever happening…but her memory is about as good as mine.)

Favorite Memory:
This one’s hard to pick. I have so many fond memories of my childhood with my family in Europe, tomfoolery with my H.S. friends, camping trips with the Guenins and underwater pool routines with my cousins. Right now, my favorite memory is my wedding day. Not only because of the symbolism of that day, but I really had a blast!

Most Moving Memory:
I have two that still move me when I think about them.
1. My father coming home from Desert Storm after 9 months. We met him on the airfield and I remember balling. Well, everyone was balling.
2. Visiting the Dachau concentration camp. I was only a child (1st or 2nd grade), but I distinctly remember feeling like I shouldn’t talk and that it was a very sad place.
(*Erleeece, you got me going when you mentioned Dachau in your blog.)

Saddest Memory:
My Grandfather’s death and funeral.

Scariest Memory:
Realizing I was lost in the Munich railway station during Oktoberfest. ‘Nuff said.
(Really, before you call a child protection agency you should know that I have a wonderful mother and it was not her fault that the lady leading our tour did not know which train to go to. I was also a Curious George growing up and did a lot of people watching under those thick glasses. It sometimes got me in trouble…or lost in Munich.)

Well, I think I was going to write something else but I can’t remember what it was.
By the way: did you know that the average human head weighs 8 lbs?

3 comments:

Erlyce said...

Well, you and I must share the same brain at times. I, too, have a very selective memory and quite often I am corrected by my husband as I tell a tall tale....his exact words being, "THAT'S not how it went!" Ah well, they're MY memories so I'll tell 'em as I see 'em! Hey, thanks for starting this blogging stuff.....it's pretty fun, and I feel as though I am getting to know you all over again! Love 'ya!

Anonymous said...

OK, I see where this is leading!! I'm going to never beable to work with children again!! She is right about one thing...her memory is off!! Except the part about Munich. However Nikii you must remember that even tho your Dad and sister were there also it was your MOTHER! who realized what had happened and jumped off the train!! to save her child!!! I'll be accepting that "mother of the year award" as soon as its ready. Loved you then and love you now!! Ma

The Doc's said...

Dude....you had me at the human head weighs 8 lbs!!!!! You're killin' me!!! I love this blog. You should have been doing this a long time ago. Well done.

Your sis.